Our Tribe

Our Tribe

Monday 14 May 2012

And all that jazz

We had rather an unfortunate event this morning in which we arrived at our regular Monday morning place with Bean in a very cross mood continuously hitting me. There were a few other parents there. One was very helpful and opened a door for me so we weren't at the top of the stairwell but it was hard to say how the other two were viewing the scene. Bean, obviously not being at school, is by far the oldest participant in this group but successfully demonstrated today that even 5 year olds get angry. Fortunately there were some good friends of ours there and they came and tried to help calm him down, let's not forget that I also had Pumpkin (who was being very unclingy and found his own space on a chair next to me - unusual but I was grateful) and Plum in her sling. And Bean, well, he did what he always does which is very quickly stops the hitting and thrashing out and cries, then looks at his mummy and he doesn't need to say anything but I know that he knows that he shouldn't be hitting me and I ask him, 'would you like to tell me what is making you upset?' and I sit him on my lap and we cuddle and when he's ready, he talks. And after he has calmed and we have done our best to resolve what caused the upset I tell him that when someone hurts someone else and they know it's wrong and they feel sad that they did it, then we say we are sorry and 1/2 an hour later he comes to me and sits on my lap again and says 'i'm sorry I hit you mummy' and I am pleased that we have resolved his upset and that he has taken it upon himself to apologise and I knew we had done alright at working it through. Still don't know what the other parents thought but I'm happy with how it worked out. Now just got to work out how to avoid it escalating to that in the first place. 


Tried our hand at writing today. Not something that happens spontaneously in our house. I suggested we should write and say thank you to our friends and family for the birthday gifts they gave Bean. I found some special cards and gave him my pen and off we went. He only wrote two but that is two more than ever before and we had lots of talk about words and letters.



Bean got some new lego for his birthday and set about building some more ships. This seems to be quite a popular lego theme with him and they come in all shapes and sizes and of course all have to be tested out in the sink before bath time to make sure that they float.



Pumpkin has spent the day practising his forward rolls, drawing endless faces, ferrying lego men around the farm in the tractor trailer, and playing balloon with his brother.

Plum has had an unusual afternoon where by she wanted to be held all the time. Not usual for her as she does enjoy playing with a few toys or sitting and watching me busy about but that wasn't for her today, today it was all about the cuddles. This might inconvenience some and consequently my house was slightly more chaotic than normal but I had a lovely afternoon playing with my girl and I am cherishing every minute of it. Third time round you really do know how quickly the time goes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment