Our Tribe

Our Tribe

Sunday 21 July 2013

Here comes the summer

The last few days have been as busy as ever. Bean is enjoying minecraft and experimenting with different ideas. Mostly it's houses with various features including swimming pool, balconies, tunnels and underground rooms. He's also building different sized gardens and greenhouses.
Pumpkin has been watching endless Pink Panther (cartoons) and interestingly starting to produce his own narrative to each episode. Plum is busy entertaining herself happily. She enjoys putting things away in the right places, giving me my sunglasses and emptying my purse on to the floor.

Thursday was our new gymnastics day followed by a play at Tilgate Park. It was amazingly hot and I did try to dissuade them from the park but they were both keen. By 3pm Bean was saying he was too hot and could we go home so I seized the moment and we headed home. It took us half an hour to walk back to the car as Pumpkin was slowly dragging his feet but we made it without incident and by the time I had left the car park all three smalls were asleep. I also managed to successfully transfer all three from the car into the house and they all continued sleeping. So, for the first time in years I had a few hours to myself during the day. Bean slept for 2 hours, Pumpkin 2 1/2' and Plum 3 hours. Of course, this meant that they were all up much later than usual but we have a far more pleasant time in the cool of the evening than the heat of the day.

Friday saw us taking a spontaneous trip to see friends for a few hours in the middle of the day. Bean and I made clay pots in the afternoon and there was some painting with old make up sponges that I found.
Daddy spent hours in the evening playing board games with all three smalls as I had some admin to do for CAC and I needed the time and space to get my head around it.

Saturday turned out to be a lazy day, in as much as we didn't have anything planned (surprisingly). I spent the whole morning in the kitchen and daddy did various bits and pieces around the house. He took the boys out to the park in the afternoon and Plum slept for a couple of hours. By the time they got back we had a short while until we headed down to the beach with our church family for an evening of BBQ, climbing on rocks, paddling/swimming in the sea.

Sunday is church day. Daddy was leading the service and after yesterday's late night we were all up late this morning. We had friends around for lunch and spent a relaxed afternoon eating, chatting, return trip to the park, tea and playing in the garden. I had a long chat with our neighbour about Beans's ability to remember things and discovered he has been giving our neighbour advice on his ant problem.

Mostly, we are enjoying being together. Pumpkin continues to get upset when I mention that I'm going out for the evening even though it is daddy who is with them at home. He feels the pain of separation more so than Bean or Plum atm. As it is the end of the school year, there is a lot of talk about children starting school in September and I am once again reminded of how different our lives are as they revolve less around a school year than most. I'm also reminded that it is Pumpkin's peers who are entering school in September and am so thankful that we have the opportunity to home ed. for all sorts of reasons, school is not right for Pumpkin, although I know he would adapt and 'be okay in the end,' I'm glad he doesn't have to go through that process and the benefits of him being at home far outweigh any notion of his need to be in school. I guess I'm just feeling grateful for being able to spend my children's childhood with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment